Followers

Powered by Blogger.
RSS

RECIPE: ROASTED MASHED POTATOES

The highlight of our Memorial Day weekend was actually spent the day before, Sunday, with a few of our best friends.  A long day at the pool was capped by a dinner party at our house.  Erica & Nick came in from Thibodaux, Simm in from Lake Chuck and Meg & Brandon walked all the way across the street to partake.  I find it strange of all the good food we had that day (including two racks of ribs per guest by Chef Simm), I am choosing to share with you the "recipe" for one of the side items.  

I LOVE roasted vegetables (just as much as I love braised meat). I have never ever met a veggie that didn't taste amazing roasted.  Potatoes are a prime example.

How to roast a vegetable you ask?  High heat, a little seasoning, olive oil and a large sheet pan covered in aluminum foil (easy clean up). Most any veggie can be cooked this way....400-450 for 20-40 min (depending on the make and model of the veggie and the size of the dice).

What started as me serving my everyday roasted potatoes, ended up in the creation of a new "recipe" that will become a staple in the Guillot house thanks to a lovely suggestion by the one and only Jon Simm.  As I pulled them out the oven he said "Jen why don't you mash those things up and call it a day." Such a simple and obvious suggestion, but yet, one I hadn't thought of before.  

As I try to put my recipe into words, I am reminded of my MawMaw Gauthier and how I used to get SO upset when I asked her for a recipe and she said she could not give me one because she did not have one. Even baked goods that are measurement specific learned in her younger days as a pastry chef at Baum's Bakery in Baton Rouge.  Now I know how she must have felt. Sounds easy enough to do, but it's actually kinda tricky pulling stuff out of your brain and putting it on paper (or on screen). 

Jenn's ROASTED MASHED POTATOES

Ingredients
Red potatoes (cubed)
Olive Oil (just to coat)
Salt & Fresh Black Pepper (to taste, a light even coating)
Butter (2 tbs per 10 potatoes)
Parmigana Reggiano (about a cup-fresh grated, not that crap that comes in a green can!!!)
Half & Half (hum, about 1/4 cup I suppose..just add a little and taste and add more if needed)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400~425 (depending on your oven).   

Cut potatoes and toss with oil and seasonings in a bowl (sometimes when I'm in a hurry I do this step in the sheet pan, but you will get a much more even coating if you toss it in a bowl).

Spread seasoned potatoes in a large sheet pan covered in aluminum foil. Roast in oven for about 30 min or until some parts are getting a deep brown...almost burnt (it will take more or less time depending on how big your pan is and how many potatoes you have). Swish the pan around and give it a mix half way through for even browning.

Remove from oven and put back into the bowl you used in the first step. Toss in the butter, cheese, half & half and mash away. Taste to make sure your seasonings are right....remembering it is best to add if needed. *Remember: You can always add but you can't take away.*      

Variations
~Are endless, it's potatoes for crying out loud.
~Try adding chipotle in adobe sauce for a texmex twist
~Or, my favorite, smash in some roasted GARLIC!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment